SINCE ITS FOUNDING BY VOLUNTEERS IN 1992, WINNESHIEK COUNTY HABITAT for humanity HAS…
- Joined 1500 Habitat for Humanity affiliates in the United States but is the only affiliate in Northeast Iowa
- Built 26 homes in the communities of Burr Oak, Calmar, Castalia, Decorah, Freeport, Ossian and Ridgeway
- Expanded the tax base in these communities with 18 families paying a combined annual property tax of $25,718
- Served low-income families who have sufficient income to pay a 25-year interest-free mortgage
- Required homeowner families to give 150 volunteer hours per adult family member
- Been funded by mortgage payments, by generous donations from Winneshiek County residents, by TIF, by grants from organizations (such as Thrivent and Upper Explorer Land) and by co-sponsorship arrangements with the Luther College Habitat chapter.